[mythtv-users] Soundblaster live and AC3 for MythDVD help

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Tue Jan 4 13:07:07 EST 2005

Gregg Farhat <3gemail at gmail.com> writes:

> I am new to Linux, and am having trouble with the ac3 part. I
> installed myth using Jarods Guide.  Thanks.
> I get sound using the SPDIF out on the sound blaster, but when I play
> a dvd I get static and no sound.  Can someone send me a woking config
> for sblive .asoundrec to get sound from my dvd surround sound if
> possible?

It depends on which live card you have.

First of all, OSS may work without a hitch, but I don't use it and
haven't for several years, though at one point I did have AC3
passthrough working with the OSS emu10k1 driver.  I'd recommend it
before trying ALSA if you just want to get something working.

If that doesn't work, or you want to try ALSA out, first install the
latest ALSA (1.0.7?), ls /dev/snd/ and see if you have the following:

controlC0
controlC1
controlC2
controlC3
hwC0D0
midiC0D0
pcmC0D0c
pcmC0D0p
pcmC0D1c
pcmC0D2c
pcmC0D2p
timer

If so, cat /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0.  If you have
something like

0-0/0: SigmaTel STAC9721/23

Capabilities     :
DAC resolution   : 18-bit
ADC resolution   : 18-bit
3D enhancement   : SigmaTel 3D Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=0 AMAP DSA=0
Extended status  : SDAC

then we've got the same card and I can hook you up. :) FWIW, it took
me about a week of tinkering to get this config to work properly, and
while I *think* I understand it now, working with ALSA is something
like quantum mechanics: if you look at it the wrong way, you
irrevocably disturb the system. :)

Cheers,
Kyle