[mythtv-users] Data Direct Subscription Expires?

David Levine curiouskangaroo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 22:41:08 EST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:39:54 -0800, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 03:53:24PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> > >And the stations have very little interest in providing accurate
> > >listing data to people who don't watch their commercials.   Myth
> >
> > The stations report their schedules to the listings service,
> > period. They do not provide accurate data for the listings services
> > paying customers and inaccurate info to give to end consumers =).
>
> What I mean is, it is in the station's interests to report listing data
> for viewers who will watch the show with commercials, such as those
> who read listings in the newspaper and TV Guide, and those using
> dedicated guides like the on-screen displays of satellite and cable
> companies.  (The latter sometimes include vcr control, but it's a minor
> use compared to PVR uses.)
>
> My point is, it makes the opposite of sense for them to want the data
> to be sold to paper users and given away to PVR users.   They would
> much rather it be the other way around.

Zap2It, at least in my neck of the woods (Westchester, NY) on
Cablevision, is the provider of the "on screen program guide" on
channel 15.  This is for ALL cable viewers, whether or not they have a
PVR.  It seems like the simplest thing for Zap2It is to maintain and
provide the exact same data over DataDirect that they show
"over-the-air".  Or are you saying that stations might provide them
with multiple sets of data covering the same time periods, with
instructions that one set of data is for online use and one set of
data is for their on-screen program guide?