[mythtv-users] SOLVED: DVD rip failure ("Error: DVDPerfectThread read failed")

Paul Henninger paul_henninger at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 21:02:24 EST 2005

I was having trouble ripping some of my DVD movies.
Some worked OK, some always failed. The failure
message was something along the lines of "Error:
DVDPerfectThread read failed for NNN blocks at
NNNNNNN".

I searched the archives, and potential culprits seemed
to  be libdvdcss, bad hardware, or a
bad/dirty/scratched disc. Suspecting libdvdcss, I used
apt-get to upgrade from my installed version (1.2.5)
to the latest (1.2.8). The release notes for 1.2.8
contain this fix: "workaround for strange discs that
report read errors seemingly at random.".

Sure enough, mtd running with the latest version of
libdvdcss was able to rip a DVD that previously failed.