[mythtv-users] FC3 Install Notes

Dan Berger dan at theidiots.org
Mon Jan 3 18:45:00 EST 2005

In an attempt to help those in need, here are my install notes for MythTV on
FC3. (I reinstalled everything after having a perfect system for over a
year.)

Hardware: PVR-250, Athlon 2200XP, Shuttle AN35N, GeForce 4 440MX, SB Live!
Kernel: 2.6.9-1.681_FC3
MythTV: CVS from 1/1/05 (nice howto here:
http://mythtv.info/moin.cgi/UpgradeToCvsHowTo)

..General
If NTPD, system logger, portmap, etc. fail to start, SELinux is on. Edit
/etc/sysconfig/selinux and set SELINUX to disabled.

Make sure you disable the firewall (iptables) to prevent certain problems:
/sbin/chkconfig --level 012345 iptables off

..LiveTV
I was getting many "ReadStringList timeout (quick)" and qt/ASSERT errors
when trying to watchi LiveTV. This was due to the fact I didn't have BOTH
addresses in the mythbackend's setup set to my box's IP address (I had them
set to 127.0.0.1 like an asshat).

..LIRC/irblaster
To get LIRC working, I had to create a symlink to lirc0): ln -s /dev/lirc0
/dev/lirc (or you can also load lirc with the option -d=/dev/lirc0. I had to
chmod 666 /dev/lirc and chown mythtv.mythtv /dev/lirc. I edited
/etc/init.d/lircd and added these lines to the top of the start() function
to make sure this happens at boot. (Those with an irblaster must do the same
for it.)

I needed to compile a second version of LIRC so I could use my irblaster so
I followed Robert's wonderful howto (http://www.iwamble.net/6901.html). I
had to compile LIRC for a "16x50 UART compatible serial port" (option 1) for
it to work with my homebrew irblaster.

I was getting libtool errors (something with "--tag=CC") when compiling LIRC
0.7.0pre8, so I used the latest CVS and that worked.

Once installed, irrecord was working, but irsend wasn't so I had to add the
line "gap 100240" to remoted.conf so that the conf would work with my
Scientific Atlanta 2100 settopbox.

Myth didn't feel like executing the change channel script so I renamed it to
csh, made sure it was +x, and restarted the backend (don't forget to do
that).

I also got the new Hauppauge remote and it works flawlessly with a new
lircd.conf
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/95897?search_string=new%
20hauppauge%20remote;#95897).

..MythGame
MAME kept segfaulting so I had to disable scanlines (-effect 9). To make
sure it loaded fullscreen I added -fullscreen to extra options.

zSNES 1.36 wouldn't load the games properly from MythGame, so I installed
version 1.40 from source (which came out Dec 25th). I now run zsnes -m to
disable the GUI.

For NES, I installed the latest FCEU (0.98.13) from source. My bin points to
fceu.csh so I can add some settings:
/usr/local/bin/fceu -soundq 0 -soundvol 80 -efxfs 2 -fs 1 -stretchx 1
-stretchy 1 -opengl 1 -ntsccol 1 -input2 gamepad "${@}"

To configure your controllers, do: fceu -inputcfg gamepadX (where X is the
controller number).

My USB Saitek controllers work perfectly out of the box.

I hope this helps people.

djb