[mythtv-users] MythPhone causes mythfrontend to lock??

Paul Volkaerts paul.volkaerts at lineone.net
Mon Jan 3 18:43:33 EST 2005

> I like the presence detect; unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work.
> It shows someone who is definately online as offline and consequently
> won't let me dial them through the speedial.  If I dial the person
> manually (enter the number), then the call often goes through, and the
> presence on the speedial shows a green dot and says (unknown).

It has some synchronisation problems; I fixed one of them today but I think
there are more. In the meantime I will re-enable allowing you to call users
that are offline.

> When I hit the stop button to end the call, the frontend froze.
>
> During another call, I hit play to go fullscreen; both the remote (main)
> video and the local (pip) video drew, but the frontend locked almost
> immediately afterward.
>
> I'm running this on a gentoo system with PIII-733Mhz and 384MB ram.  It
> seems to run mythtv just fine otherwise.
>
> Any suggestions? (other than upgrade my hardware :) )

MythPhone uses QT to draw the video, unlike MythTV which uses accelerated
routines such as XV, so its not going to be as good. Its also doing H.263
encode + decode at the same time which MythTV does not have to do. I have
never profiled it to see hwo much CPU H.263 needs. I don't think there is
any chance you will get full-screen working on a 733M PIII, but you should
get normal mode working ok if you do not push the frame-rate too high. Can
you try a call at 176x144 and 5 fps and let me know if everything is stable?
Also; can you do a CVS update as some changes went in today / yesterday that
may help. A "top" would be useful to see if its a CPU starvation that is the
problem.

Paul