[mythtv-users] PVR350 Audio problems . . sigh

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 11:33:45 EST 2005

Asciimonster Wrote:

> Lischka wrote:
>
> >I bought a PVR-350 and tried it out on my main desktop setting up
> >Knoppmyth on a partition on an old 40Gb disk that was lying
> around).
> >This went reasonably well although I had a lot of trouble setting up
> >the UK tv grabber.  After many abortive attempts, the Knoppmyth hard
> >disk failed, so I tried again under Gentoo (my main distro).
>  Again I
> >got pretty close to where I wanted to be, but a different set of
> >problems (2.6.4 and lirc didnt seem to be compatible).
> Anyway, I got
> >some TV shows successfully recorded, and even got myth
> through TV-Out
> >onto the TV screen.
> >
> >Has anyone got any ideas what to try next?
> >
> >Any more diagnostic info to give me a clue as to what is wrong?
> >
> >Oh yes, I tried compiling the latest ivtv-0.3.2a drivers but
> it made no
> >difference.
> >
> With the 0.1 versions, I had intermittently sound and no
> sound with my
> Myth box. I used this hack which worked for me:
>
> /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -v input=7,output=1
> /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -v input=2,output=2
>
> The 0.3 versions are experimental (that means unstable) at
> the moment.
> Better try 0.2.0rc3c. _______________________________________________

All very well and good but the pvr-350 doesn't (or didn't)
work with X over the tv out with 0.2.0rc3c and FC3

I'm running kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 and 0.3.1z (patched for ivtv-fb on
2.6.9 kernels)

One (stupid) thing I did was expect the sound to come out of the
soundcard,
If you're using the tv out of the pvr-350 the sound comes out of that
too.

Have you tried cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg then playing it back (on
another machine
maybe that's known to playback with sound)?

Also make 10000% sure you are using the correct msp3400.ko, do the
following to check:

cd /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.681_FC3
find . -print | grep msp34

Check to see what is loaded by

lsmod | grep msp

Check to see what will be loaded by doing

modprobe -l | grep msp

The FIRST one in this list will be loaded.

FWIW the line I use in my crontab (and works) for mythfilldatabase in
the UK is
(skipping the actual time to run)

/usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt --config-file
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Terrestrial.xmltv | /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase
--update --file 1 -1 -

I have had mythtv up and running fine but at the moment mythbackend
keeps
crashing (an issue I believe is due to the xfs journaling partition I
have
/video on) but more importantly the box has just started to keep
crashing[0][1][2]
and I need to sort that out before I start playing with mythtv again :-(

HTH

Druid

[0] Up for 20days+ now crashing up to twice a day, I'm not sure if it's
something I've
done or something's broken. :-(
[1] With no error messages anywhere :-(
[2] I'm trying stress testing it with various things to confirm the
hardware + O/S is stable but I suspect it's hardware :-(