[mythtv-users] X output to both TV and monitor

John Harvey john.p.harvey at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 2 13:48:28 EST 2005

Yes is the short answer. There are several ways

1) Run dual screen
	Pros - relatively simple to make work
	Cons - The 350's X display is tied to the desktop one so logging out
restarts the x server for the 350 as well as the desktop. The desktop mouse
can move off the side and onto the tv's display

2) Run 2 x servers
	Pros - they are independent so the 350 one can run forever and
doesn't really need a window manager
	Cons - You really need to disable the Virtual Terminal switching
since by default only the one connected to the active virtual terminal will
run. There are patches around for X to do this but that means that you have
to find them, apply them and then rebuild the server.

I do have the patches on my machine  and I am hoping to write up how to make
the second option work since several people have asked how to do it.

John