[mythtv-users] taking too long to be allowed to read

mail.com mikechoy at mail.com
Sat Jan 1 16:16:41 EST 2005

Chris

Have you set up the channels in mythtvsetup or used zap2myth to load up the
myth database?
See below previous post

Mike Choy

Hi Clive

Sorry that you seem to be having so much problems with your myth install.
I'm not familiar with your card, as I am using a Nova-T with the new
connexant chips on FC3 and this has been working for
some weeks now. Here are some thoughts that might help.

1. The Winfast card that you have seems to be a Analogue Terrestrial card
not a DVB freeview card
    I'm not sure if I have thisis  right but you do say in your thread that
you are trying to ge the Freeview UK channels.
2. If you are using a DVB Card and trying to tune into UK Freeview, You have
not made it clear if you were successful
    with having your card tune outside of MythTV. This is absolutley
critical cause Myth objects violently when it cant
    tune, cause it buggers up the database and then its all down hill from
there.

Assuming that you are talking about DVB, here is what I found, if not I have
no experience with Analogue card so this will
not be much use for you.

So How do you tune DVB Card and load up Mythdatabase without manually
entering the channel info one at a time like
I did when I started. First I would ignore the Myth TV TV grab utilities,
cause if you cant tune your card, you are wasting a lot
of time in Myth.

1. I assume that you have all drivers installed for your card. In the Case
of the newer connexant based Nova-T cards you sadly
    have to install a custom kernel and patch it with the driver patchs from
bytesex.org. Let me know if you need help here.

2. You now need some tools, I created a directory for each in /usr/src so
that I could build them.
       - DVB Apps
       - Zap2myth
       - tv_grab_dvb.

Zap2myth is here http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/dvb/
tv_grab_dvb is here  http://www.darkskiez.co.uk/index.php?page=tv_grab_dvb
dvb apps  is available from linuxtv.org -you can get from CVS with the
following commands

#cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv login
#carriage return to login
#cd /usr/src/dvb-apps
#cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at linuxtv.org:/cvs/linuxtv co dvb-apps
#cd dvb-apps
#make
Once this has been built you will now see a directory called utils/scan  use
dvbscan example below
(Assume that you are on the CrystalPalace transmitter, other transmitters
are under the dvb-t directory)

# cd /usr/src/dvb-apps/util/scan
#./dvbscan dvb-t/uk-CrystalPalace | tee  /home/mythtv/.tzap/channels.conf

If all is well then you will have a channels.conf file populated with your
freeview channel tuning info.

You can now have a look a live tv using tzap to tune into an individual
channel and pipe it into mplayer like so.

# tzap -c /home/mythtv/.tzap/channels.conf -r 'ITV 2
# mplayer - < /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0.

information===================================

1. We build a clean channels.conf file that contains the tuned channels that
we have recepton for using dvbscan above.

2. We then use the Zap2myth script to convert this information into a mysql
script that can be loaded into the Myth Converg database

3. !!! as of Nov 04 Myth TV will hang if it can tune a channel, so any
missing fields such as the PID or wrong frequency will hang the system

4. We then load the the Mythtv database with the channel information

5. We then use the tv_grab_dvb program to load up the latest TV listings and
pipe this the Myth database

Files and what they do (assumes that I have built all of these in /usr/src )
~/.tzap/channels.conf ( This holds the DVB tuned channels information from
the dvbscan utility)

/usr/src/zap2myth/zap2myth/uk_dvb/common.channels contains the standard
freeview tv channels with some config information

/usr/src/zap2myth/zap2myth/uk_dvb/radio.channels contains the standard
freeview radio channels with som config information

/usr/src/zap2myth/zap2myth/uk_dvb/regions/london.channels contains the
standard freeview tv channels in london

/usr/src/zap2myth/zap2myth/uk_dvb/regions/other.channels contains the
interactive channels

# cd /usr/src/dvb-apps/util/scan

# ./dvbscan dvb-t/uk-CrystalPalace | tee ~/.tzap/channels.conf

# cd /usr/src/zap2myth/zap2myth

# ./zap2myth.pl uk_dvb/common.channels uk_dvb/other.channels >channels.sql

# mysql -p <channels.sql

# enter your mysql password from when you set up Mythtv

Go into mythtvsetup and check that your channels are now installed

tv_grab_dvb uses the following files, and you will need to edit the
tv_grab_dvb.c
source code to change if you decided to put these somewhere else.

Code snippet
{#define CHANNELS_CONF "/home/mythtv/.tzap/channels.conf"

# define CHANIDENTS /usr/local/etc/chanidents
}
# cd /usr/src/tv_grab_dvb
#make

Then just make to rebuild.

The chanidents file provides translation between the normal XMLTV idents of
"4479.dvb.guide" for bbci for instance to a custome channel ident of
bbci.bbc.co.uk
I left this blank cause I wanted to to keep the 4479.dvb.guide syntax

Now lets get a test version of the programme guide.
# cd /usr/src/tvgrab/tv_grab_dvb-0.9
#tv_grab_dvb -c -t 30 > /tmp/test.xml

Have a look at /temp/test.xml, if all is well then lets load up the guide
int Mythtv for real.

#tv_grab_dvb|mythfilldatabase --no-delete --file 1 0 -

or manually

#mythfilldatabase --manual --file 1 0 /tmp/test.xml
Mythtv should now work, and you should do your first database backup like
so.

Backup your mythdatabase

#mysqldump -c -a -p mythconverg > /home/mythtv/mythsql.dump
In case you blow up your database you can restore like so.

# mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg < /home/mythtv/mythsql.dump