[mythtv-users] Escape mapping for ATI remote wonder on FC3

Alex stangage70 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:14:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:31:57 +0100, Niels Dybdahl <niels at dybdahl.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make an ATI remote wonder work on FC3 with MythTV.
>
> The start looked very fine. I did not have to configure anything. The Remote
> Wonder was automatically detected by FC3. Here is an extract from messages:

> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: usb 3-2: new low speed USB device using
> address 2
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: drivers/usb/input/ati_remote.c: Weird data,
> len=1 ff 00 00 00 00 00 ...
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: ati_remote 3-2:1.0: Input registered: X10
> Wireless Technology Inc USB Receiver on usb-0000:00:10.1-2
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: usbcore: registered new driver ati_remote
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: drivers/usb/input/ati_remote.c: Registered USB
> driver ATI/X10 RF USB Remote Control v. 2.2.1
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: lirc_dev: no version for "struct_module"
> found: kernel tainted.
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered,
> at major 61
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel:
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: lirc_atiusb: USB remote driver for LIRC v0.4
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: lirc_atiusb: Paul Miller
> pmiller9 at users.sourceforge.net
> Feb 27 12:52:58 freja kernel: usbcore: registered new driver lirc_atiusb
>
> I can use the Remote Wonder as mouse, cursor and for entering numbers etc,
> but there is no mapping for the Escape function, so I can not exit anything
> in MythTV.
>
> I tried following  Tim Litwiller's howto on
> http://www.litwiller.net/mythtv/remote.html, but without luck. I tried
> modifying the assignments in the described /etc/lircd.conf file, but that
> file does not seem to be used. I tried running /usr/bin/irw, but it
> terminates with the error message: "connect: No such file or directory".
> mythfrontend too states that it "could not connect to socket" when it
> starts, which I guess also means that it can not connect to the lirc device.
> Is that correct ?
>
> In the /dev folder there is no entry named lirc* or ati*. Should there be
> one ?
>
> Can anyone give me a hint on how to proceed ? FC3 certainly has support for
> the Remote Wonder, but how do I configure it ?
>
> Best regards
> Niels Dybdahl

You have both the "ati_remote" and "lirc_atiusb" modules loading...
Unfortunately they don't play together, and you need to choose one of
the other (however someone suggested that lirc itself could use the
ati_remote arrangement, I have no idea how to make that work).

I also have the ATI remote, and I chose to use lirc even though this
requires more effort.  I believe the control options warrant the
effort.

So - if you chose to run with LIRC's atiusb arrangement, you need to
remove the ati_remote kernel module from your kernel.  One can compile
one's own kernel without it, however it is also feasible to just
rename the ati_remote.ko file to something else.  I do this such that
I can use Axel's packages...

The link you list is applicable to previous Fedora Core packages, but
not explicitly FC3.  Also Jarod's guide is really geared towards using
remotes from Hauppauge.  With the ATI remote, you don't need to worry
about the load order (ivtv vs. lirc).  However substituting
"lirc_atiusb" for "lirc_i2c" in his guide should work for the most
part once the "ati_remote" module is removed...

You will see some /dev/lirc* devices once things are working, and irw
should also work fine.