[mythtv-users] MythTV Install Documentation

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Feb 27 23:59:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:20:55PM -0800, Nav Jagpal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of writing a step-by-step install document for MythTV.
>
> You can checkout what I have so far by visiting
> http://silver.cs.uvic.ca/~nav/mythtv/index.xhtml
>
> The document itself is written in DocBook, so the appearance can be
> changed easily using stylesheets.
>
> I would appreciate any feedback/advice etc. Also, if anyone wants to
> help, that would be great!
>
> If you skim the document, you'll see that I am targetting PVR-250. If
> anyone wants to add sections for other tuner cards, that would be
> great too.

An unusual set of hardware requirements then.  With the pvr-250, myth
seems to run fine on as slow as a 600mhz celeron, possibly even slower.

Buying a pc to tv converter is also odd advice, since video cards
with tv-out are cheap and plentiful.

A PCI sound card isn't needed, onboard often works just fine.

Ethernet isn't strictly needed, dial-up connection is fine except for
downloading the software will take a while.

I think I would focus on the different common classes of Myth installation:

    a) Turn an old, slow box into an SDTV mythbox.   Soon, the pvr-150 will
        be the recommended way to do that.

    b) Build an high-power HD mythbox with new equipment
        (2.8ghz range recommended)

    c) Build a decent performance SD mythbox using previous generation
      processors (1.5 to 2ghz) or better, and if sitting around, with
      cheap raw capture card rather than pvr-x50.