[mythtv-users] Re: Torrentocracy Patch against Mythtv-cvs

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Feb 27 22:26:38 UTC 2005

> This is really truly such an unfortunate attitude.  I really
> appreciate this patch.  Many other myth users including yourself I'm
> sure appreciate this patch.  Bit torrent is not illegal technology.

No, bittorrent is not illegal.  Nor is mythtv.  But combining them in
such a way that makes it blatantly easy for people to share tv
recordings will draw the same attention that Napster did (napster was
not illegal until people started using it to share copyrighted files --
no one cared about the people who were sharing legal recordings).

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what torrentocracy does, but the general
sentiment is that the few people who are doing things the right way
(sharing legal content) will be overlooked as soon as someone starts
breaking the law.  What we do as individuals is our own business, but
the mythtv developers have decided that we don't want to be seen as even
remotely supportive of this venture.

Now, maybe someone could figure out some kind of safeguard system to
prevent access to non-legal-torrent sites that would make Isaac feel
differently about such things, but that's between you and him.

-CHris