[mythtv-users] Re: Samba 3 better than NFS 3 for recording over Ethernet

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:32:43 EST 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 10:50, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Mike Frisch wrote:

> >> On my slave I mount nfs with read/write sizes of 8192, which I  think
> >> I got
> >> from the mythtv docs at
> >> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.10
> >>
> >> Would you expect see any improvement with larger sizes on a 100meg
> >> network?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> If supported by your NFS server's kernel (and NFS version--but that
> shouldn't be a problem)...
>
> The maximum theoretical block size for NFSv2 is 8KiB (but you want
> NFSv3), and Linux 2.4 kernels without support for NFS over TCP (pre
> 2.4.19) use 8KiB, while those 2.4 kernels that didn't support NFS over
> TCP but were patched with the NFS over TCP patch use 32KiB and those
> that support NFS over TCP without patching use 8KiB (the "traditional"
> default was kept even after the TCP patch was included in the tree).
> Linux 2.6 kernels support 32KiB block sizes by default.  However, your
> distribution vendor may have modified the kernel defaults.  The maximum
> theoretical sizes for NFSv3 are 56KiB over UDP and depends on the
> implementation with TCP (but typically won't be greater than 32KiB).
>
> You can check your kernel by looking at the value for NFSSVC_MAXBLKSIZE
> in the include/linux/nfsd/const.h file in your kernel source directory.
> You can also modify the value and recompile your kernel to get better
> performance.
>
> See http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/performance.html#BLOCKSIZES and
> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/ for more.
>
> Mike

so for those of you with successful NFS mounts running over 100bT and 1000bT,
what mount settings are you using for your NFS mounts?

Also, someone mentioned TCP being best for mix speed networks, are these
settings for how the drive is mounted or by how NFS shares the drive? Would I
want the same mount settings on a 100bT wired computer as a 802.11G wireless?

I have to see what I ended up with as my settings, I'm hoping to get some
better performance out of my NFS shares, and solve any issues I might be
having with a mixed speed network.

share the love ;-)
--
Steve