[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV

Robert Anderson riznob at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:17:57 EST 2005

On 12/29/05, Michael J. Lynch <mlynch at gcom.com> wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > James Ayoub wrote:
> >
> >> Please bare with me as I am new to linux.  My intentions are to
> >> install mythtv on fedora core 2 by following Jarod Wilson guide found
> >> here: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
> >> <http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php>
> >>
> >> I installed Fedora Core2, upgraded it,  installed NVidia drivers,
> >> installed sound card drivers and am now at step 9. which is to install
> >> mythtv.
> >>
> >> I went to mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org> and downloaded ver 0.18 and
> >> extracted the tar file but haven't found out how to install it via the
> >> yum command.
> >

> > Well, you're not really reading the instructions then, are you?
> >
> > Read step 9 again.
> >

> And use the FC2 instructions instead of the FC4 instructions.
>
> --
> Michael J. Lynch
>
> What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown

The FC2 instructions use apt-get instead of yum. You should be sure to use
the instructions for the dist you are using. I would highly recommend using
FC4, since it is the latest at this point. In either case, the package
management program (yum or apt-get) will download and install MythTV and all
the dependencies. You do not need to download MythTV from www.mythtv.org.
The instructions are very explicit. Follow them to the letter and you should
be fine.

--
Rob Anderson
riznob at gmail.com