[mythtv-users] ALSA and real AC3 passthrough

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 09:12:33 EST 2005

Petr Stehlik wrote:
> My question is whether it's possible to set up the .asoundrc in a way
> that it handles both DVB-S AC3 real passthrough and also analog->digital
> conversion plus 32kHz->48kHz resampling.
>

> Petr

I am not sure about your motherboard but with the intel8x0 built into my
motherboard I am able to do it.
In the .asoundrc I found on the web there is an Alsa section called dmix
(digital mix) which will convert the analog sound to the proper format
for sending out through the spdif.
For my card it is like this:

pcm.nforce { type dmix ipc_key 1234 slave { pcm "hw:0,1" period_time 0
period_size 1024 buffer_size 4096 rate 44100 } }

This may help, it is for gentoo, but you should get the general idea:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix

Lee