[mythtv-users] Powering off computer as non-root

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Tue Dec 27 19:16:29 EST 2005

No display manager and not using KDE.

When the computer boots up, it loads mythfrontend on its own.  No log in
manager, nothing.  It's intended to be used only for a frontend in my
bedroom, so no big deal if someone hacked in and powered the frontend
off - very unlikely anyway.

Hmm.  But then again, the files for the frontend is on the server
(diskless frontend using netboot you see) so the halt command is open to
all on the server....  best check that then!  Hmm, I seem to be able to
access halt via my server as a non-root user - not going to actually
invoke the command though!  Maybe best to move the halt command
somewhere else, rename it to something like "fluffy_teddies" - no-one'll
find it...?

Cheers - Piers