[mythtv-users] Re: [TVguide] OT: HWW agrees to sell the business to ninemsn

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 20:45:38 EST 2005

> For those of you that don't know, HWW is the main company contracted to
> provide TV guide data on a commercial basis.  This is the same company who
> was pressured by the stations to ask us to stop us using their data for
> TiVo's (which we have).

And those same stations put up a helluva struggle when Media Centre
was launched here so I see no reason why they should relax their views
on guide data just because HWW are now part of MSoft.

> It will be interesting to see what ninemsn will do with HWW, they may now be
> able to bring out a guide to support XPMCE, and from that it may also become
> available to other platforms.

Sorry to be a pessimist but it's obvious that guide data is key to the
success of Media Centre. I can't see them gladly handing it out to
competing products. If anything I think this is going to make it even
harder to get guide data.

(CCd to the MythTV list for their info).

Regards,
Phill