[mythtv-users] Recording HDTV via cable in the US? (yes another one)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 22 19:56:32 EST 2005

Jason Werpy wrote:

> You know, whenever  this topic comes up, I always wonder if someone
> could take the time to create a Myth plugin that automatically sends
> an e-mail to the network in question informing them that because of 5C
> DRM you just aren't watching their program.  It would be great to see
> the networks get enourmous amounts of negative feedback about their
> DRM efforts.

The problem is that the DRM is coming from the provider (i.e. the cable
company), and the provider really doesn't care if you watch the
shows--just that your monthly check clears.  If you want to vote against
DRM, go OTA.*

> I have not gone HD yet, but I absolutely dread when I do.  I know from
> all the postings on this list with problems, that it will be sheer
> hell to make work, if it can be done at all.

Not if you use OTA.*  And, with OTA, there's no TV tax.  :)

> As for me I know that when I finally get digital cable I will refuse
> to watch any show with 5C enabled (even live).
>
> Maybe networks will figure out that making their shows virtually
> unwatchable for a certail segment of their market is a really bad
> idea.  I hope they will, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm also not
> eagerly running headlong into that wall, yet, but someday, I'll have to.

I think you just have to face the fact that you're in the segment of the
market that the networks just don't want.  You "steal" their content
without paying (i.e. watching the commercials), and you make/keep copies
of it to watch on your schedule instead of theirs.  Isn't it great to be
unloved?

Mike

* At least until Congress creates the broadcast flag/delegates authority
to create the broadcast flag to the FCC.