[mythtv-users] basic ota hdtv questions

casey dunn casey.dunn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 11:31:40 EST 2005

On 12/22/05, joe byrne <mythjoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed an air2pc card (the version with the bcm3510) to
> record atsc OTA.  It coexists with an ivtv card and a bttv card, which
> both record OTA.  Yes, I like variety.  I'm running mythtv 18.1
> installed from rpms on FC4 with  a 2.6.14 kernel. I'm in the US and
> use zap2it.
>
> I have some really basic questions:
> * Do I need a second zap2it line-up for the ota-hdtv input?

Further down you say you've got the HDTV line up allready?

* Some of the digital channels duplicate analog channels.  Is there a
> way to equate the two?  E.g., I have an analog channel 7 and a digital
> channel with the same programming.

I would guess, set the HD channel to a higher priority or delete the analog
channel.

* Is there a way to equate zap2it digital channels with the underscore
> (e.g. 7_1) with the channels added by scanning w/o the underscore
> (e.g. 71)?

Set their XMLTV id's to the same number in channel setup.

* Some of the digital channel numbers duplicate analog channel
> numbers, but carry different programming.  E.g., I have a digital
> channel 11 (identified by scanning) and an analog channel 11 that seem
> to be completely unrelated.  Will this cause a problem?

No, myth know's the difference.

* I plan to transcode recorded digital programs. Will digital programs
> in both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios come out looking right given a
> single set of transcode parameters?

Transcoding appears to not add an aspect ratio flag to it's output files.

Likewise, will interlaced and
> noninterlaced content get transcoded to something that looks OK.
> Right now, straight off the air one of the two looks pretty cruddy
> when watching live tv.

I have no idea, I don't use live TV.