[mythtv-users] HDTV Over firewire (HAVI)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Dec 21 20:05:08 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 20:01 -0500, Matt Harris wrote:

> Is there any ability (now or planned) to use a mythTV server as a HAVI
> hard disc device?  For those who don't know what this is, HAVI is
> basically a device control protocol that some TVs use to control and
> transport MPEG streams.
AFAIC This not in anyone's development want-to-do list. However,
MythTV does know how to record from other HAVi devices via the
"Firewire" recorder.

> My particular HDTV (a mitsubishi) has the ability to record to
> compatible devices over firewire.  The MPEG data and control data are
> sent over the interface, and as such the TV controls the transport of
> the recording device, all seamlessly through it's own remote control
> with on-screen-displays created by the TV and all.
You might be able to do this the other way around, by having MythTV
control the TV. Currently control of only a few HAVi cable boxes have
been implemented in MythTV, but your TV might act like one of them.
You may want to try it and report back to everyone about whether it
worked.

-- Daniel