[mythtv-users] newbie needin help with PVR-350

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 03:42:36 EST 2005

On 20/12/05, Jason <jason at monsterjam.org> wrote:
> hey folks, just set up a new myth box on a PII Celeron 400Mhz box with 512Megs of memory.
> mythtv ~ # uname -a
> Linux mythtv 2.6.14-gentoo-r4 #3 PREEMPT Thu Dec 15 17:57:43 EST 2005 i686 Celeron (Mendocino) Genui
> neIntel GNU/Linux
>
> Ive got: mythtv-0.18.1-r1 and ivtv-0.4.0-r2 installed. The gui menu comes up fine, but when I
> "watch tv", the cpu utilzation for mythfrontend goes up to 70-80%, and the actual video on the TV is
> choppy every second or so. Ive got xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 with the ivtvdev_drv for the tv-out.

Have you enabled the 350's decoder in the frontend's TV setup menu?
You need to do this to use the onboard support, and to greatly reduce
your system load.

> my other questions about mythtv are
>
> 1. when I do record a show, hitting the record button (or R or r on the keyboard) do NOT seem to stop
> the recording after its started.. isnt R/r supposed to be a toggle for recording?

In LiveTV browse mode, R will cycle through the various recording
types for the current program. If you want to stop the recording, you
can go into the Watch Recordings list, pop up the meny and select Stop
Recording.

> 2. is there an easier way (besides using the mythtvfrontend) for configuring mythtv options? i.e. is
> there a config file I can edit to enable xyz option(s)?

No. You can edit the database directly though if you fancy ;-). The
frontend has been designed to make it as easy as possible to change
settings quickly using the remote. Once you have your system
configured as you want it, you'll probably find that you don't touch
much configuration. Remember if you do make changes that affect the
backend, you'll likely need to restart the backend before the changes
take effect.

Nick