[mythtv-users] Choppy hd live tv playback with HD3000

Mark Johannessen mfjlaw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:42:11 EST 2005

I have been able to install mythtv/mythweb sucessfully (after about a
weekend of work) on the following box:

Intel Celeron 2.66 gHz
768 ram
Nvidia e-GeForce MX4000 AGP card
Soundbalster audio card
FC4

The system is hooked up to an HD antenna and the signal is fine,
channels can be selected, audio from the sound card works, mythweb
works, etc.  However, when either playing live TV or playing back
recorded shows, the playback studders.  It plays for a couple of
seconds, studders, and plays for another couple of seconds, and so
forth.  The pattern is regular.  I have plenty of HD space, using an
LVM with jsf format.

According the pcHDTV site, the HD3000 requires the following:

The minimum recommended hardware requirements for playback of HDTV
streams recorded by pcHDTV cards are:

Intel(r) Pentium(r) 1200Mhz or higher
NVIDIA card with IDCT acceleration for machines under 2000MHz (Note:
with the current drivers on the nvidia site downloaded and operating
it think - I get the nvidia splash screen on boot)
Sound card (S/Pdif output required for 5.1 audio)
256 Meg RAM or higher

The minimum recommended hardware requirements for recording of HDTV
streams by pcHDTV cards are:
Linux Kernel 2.6.12 for DVB driver (Recommended)
Linux Kernel 2.4.26 for Video4Linux driver (Optional)
Intel(r) Pentium(r) 400Mhz or higher
128 Meg RAM or higher
One available PCI 2.2 slot
Hard drive capable of writing 6MB/s

I seem to have met these requirements, yet I have a choppiness
problem.  From the spec sheet on the card I don't see IDCT mentioned,
but it does mention "full OpenGL ICD" support.

Does this look like a video card issue (even though I appear to have
the processor speed) or has someone found this problem and a different
solution?

Mark