[mythtv-users] Choosing Linux distribution (Open SUSE 10 vs. Fedora Core 4)

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 08:01:11 EST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 10:00, Joacim J wrote:
> I already have a file server with Open SUSE 10 and now I will have a HTPC
> with MythTV. I have found Jarods excellent HOWTO regarding Fedora and
> MythTV.
> It is much more easier if I have the same Linux distribution on all
> machines from a admin perspective.
>
> What is the advantages/disadvantages in OpenSUSE 10 vs. Fedora Core 4?
> Which is best suited according to you guys?

Personally I prefer suse but my advice is go with whichever you're happiest
with using!

I found any advantages to any one specific distro are overshadowed by not
being used to it, where config files were kept, where (and what) the (distro
specific) system tools were etc.

There are probably more users using fedora (thanks to Jarods HOWTO) than suse
but there are still plenty of happy suse users.

Oh and if you don't feel like compiling from source you can use apt to install
on OpenSuSE 10, just put
rpm http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/apt suse/10.0-olsen Olsen
in your sources.list

HTH