[mythtv-users] RE: Configuring SPDIF digital out.

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Sat Dec 17 17:59:26 EST 2005

I might suggest that all alsa utilities, alsactl, and everything else is NOT required
to use digital out with MythTV.  I'm using MythTV 0.18.1 on Gentoo and I only
have the necessary alsa drivers compiled in the kernel. I've never used alsamixer
or alsactl, or installed/emerged alsa-utils, alsamixer, aplay, or anything else
alsa related. I'm not starting any alsa services during startup. The only thing I did is:

Enable alsa support and driver in the kernel.
Put .asoundrc in my home directory.
Set MythTV as follows:
  -Enable AC3
  -Device = "ALSA:digital"
  -Mixer = "digital"

and that's it.  I also have all the other mythplugins working by setting their device
to ALSA:digital. Is my setup unique, or are people doing more than need to
to get digital audio working?