[mythtv-users] nuvexport and ffmpeg-CVS

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 12:03:37 EST 2005

On 12/17/05, John Andersen <jsamyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/16/05, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
>
> > yeah.  --transcode, or just set it up in the nuvexportrc file.
> >
> > The difference is that it runs transcode instead of ffmpeg.  Different
> > encoder, different quality.  For whatever reason, ffmpeg is faster at
> > encoding mpeg1/mpeg2 data (ffmpeg is no faster for xvid/divx), but
> > transcode looks FAR nicer when it comes to xvid stuff (fewer artifacts,
> > etc).
>
> With ffmpeg I've never been able to run nuvexport from
> the command line (non-interactivly).  (I wanted to set up a
> myth job for this for certain shows).
>
> Does this work better with transcode?
>
> Also, with --transcode to xvid its way slower (p4  3.0ghz) using
> the same settings as ffmpeg to divx.  Any hints
> on wat makes the best speed improvements?

Yea, I got it to finally work by installing transcode from source
rather than the ubuntu package, although I think the error had to do
with something else, but I do realize that it's slow as John said.  I
kicked off 12 half hour shows last night (12 hours ago), and it's only
completed 5 so far.

Matt