[mythtv-users] Building first MythTV back end box...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:14:26 EST 2005

On 12/16/05, Kirk Grell <kirkgrell at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm building my first MythTV box.  It'll be a back end
> box that I'll admin remotely (web, rsh, ftp, etc).
> It's sole purpose right now will be to schedule
> recordings and transcode them to smaller video files
> for pulling later to my PC at a different location.
> I'm not planning for any other MythTV modules or front
> end box at the moment.
>
> Below is the machine I'll be piecing together.  Anyone
> know of any known issues with any of the following
> hardware in Linux and/or MythTV?
>
>   - Shuttle XPC SN85G4V3
>     + nVIDIA nForce3
>     + Realtek ALC655 Onboard Audio
>     + Onboard Lan
>   - AMD Athlon 64 3000
>   - CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB DDR 400
>   - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB SATA150
>   - NEC DVD Burner ND-3550A
>   - ASUS V9400 Geforce MX4000 128MB
>   - Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350
>   - RedHat Fedora Core 4
>
> BTW, this will be hooked up serially to a DirectTV
> D10-100 receiver.
>
> Any info regarding this setup or conflicts between it
> and Fedora and/or MythTV would be greatly appreciated.

save a couple bucks and get the Hauppage PVR-150 or PVR-500 (two
tuners) instead of the PVR-350.  since you're only building a backend
the 350 provides nothing extra.  you can probably do with onboard
video or a cheapy video card since this is only a backend; unless
you're planning to use it for video editing or something.  if it's
just going to be a standalone backend video isn't neccessary.  saving
money on the parts you don't need may allow you to purchase a larger
hard drive. ;)