[mythtv-users] Hard disk access

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:37:35 EST 2005

On 12/12/05, Mike Grusin <mgrusin at comcast.net> wrote:

> Nah, I like blinky lights. ;) My probably naive concern is that hopefully
> Myth (and the underlying distro) would minimize disk access to maximize the
> lifetime of the drive(s) (I do know that Linux configuration is my
> responsibility ;).  Other than that, I'm just curiuous how Myth works.

Well the good news is that drive failure rates are only loosely
associated with useage, and mostly from thrashing type of
useage (rapid head excursions over the full surface.)  Studies
I've read suggest that even extremely frequent writes to the same
sectors do not impair drive life.

Still its odd that FrontEnd should impose such a load, since
(unless you are watching tv) it as nothing to do.

Tail your FrontEnd log and see what its writing, and then
decide if you need a frontend log at all.
especially when you