[mythtv-users] Aaron's Hardware

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 14 13:50:37 EST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:35:02 -0500, Aaron wrote:

>I'm wanting to use the Silverstone's BLACK LC11M
>(http://silverstonetek.com/products-lc11m.htm) case.  After looking
>around, I've decided Silverstone makes the best HT Cases, and the LC11
>looks the best out of all of them.  I purchased a motherboard from
>MicroCenter that "should" work inside it.  It's an ABIT KV-85
>(http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=305).
>Before I realized it, I had a VIA chipset on my hands, and I've read
>some horror stories involving this.  I also relized soon after getting
>home, that the board itself has only been available since 12/5/05.  That
>makes the board only 2 weeks old.  Before even attempting a Myth Setup,
>should I rething this and return the MB back to the store?  Has anybody
>used this board with good results?  I'd like to know before I spend more
>money on a processor for it.

A couple of points first. If this board is a mini-ATX it will physically
fit in the LC11M.

What chipset does this board have on it?

As I understand it, the 'horror story' chipsets relate to problems from
(in the digital age) eons ago.

I would strongly suspect that a new motherboard will have no problems. I
sure don't have any problems with my VIA SP130000 motherboard.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638