[mythtv-users] watching a bttv recorded show on a non mythtv mplayer?

casey dunn casey.dunn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:42:06 EST 2005

On 12/13/05, Daniel Stengel <dstengel at uni-mannheim.de> wrote:

> Isn't there some other... more standardized, supported way to convert a
> bttv-nuppelvideo to mpeg/divx

nuvexport, mythmkmovie, myth2ipod are all options (I have yet to get them to
work but, many others have).  You can transcode from the frontend by
selecting a recording, then job options, begin transcode.  This will use the
RTjpeg/MPEG4 transcoder profile.  It's settings are under TV Settings
->Recording Profiles.  Channels settings also alow for autotranscode, after
the rtjpeg record it's automaticly scheduled for transcode.  This will still
be a nupple video container.

I think what you're realy asking is to get them out of nupple and into avi.
nuvexport, etc will do that, or, you can use VLC on any platform and not
worry about it. :-)

avidemux will also open the rtjpeg .nuv and convert it.  It's GUI is a
little cluttered but it's got every option you could ask for.  Also it's
availible in ubuntu.  Pretty much a VirtualDub for linux.

Is it possible to change the default encoding from nuppel to xvid, divx
> or similar?

Not yet.  I've seen posts on this list stating that the code changes to
allow this are easy but, I don't think anyone has put them in yet.  90% of
the work is going Ivty and DVB (mpeg2 in hardware).

I suggest finding mythpretty.sh when working with myth recordings outside of
myth.  It'll make your life worlds easier.