[mythtv-users] Killer system or overkill?

Grant Horning ghorning at stalsorphanage.org
Tue Dec 13 10:46:28 EST 2005

I just got my new machine running MythTV on Slackware 10.2. It isn't
tweaked out yet but with kde 3.4 running, cpu0 remains relatively idle
while cpu1 stays at ~90% while watching live tv. I haven't tried
recording yet since my channel frequencies are all wrong. (adelphia)!

Specs...
AMD 3800 X2
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
Corsair 512mb x2
XFX NVIDIA 6600 DDR2 256mb pcie
Hauppauge PVR-250
Western Digital RE2 400gb sata

I think the RAID might be a bad idea. Onboard SATA raid is software
raid. This is bad because software raid does NOT perform well under
heavy I/O loads.(at least from what ive read). If you want speed, maybe
go with a Raptor 10k drive and write a script that will "dd" your
recordings to a large drive every night.

-Grant