[mythtv-users] LiveTV isn't flexible enough about its inputs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 12 20:50:27 EST 2005

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

>I -do- have "avoid conflicts with recordings" checked, and I'm
>reluctant to uncheck it since I'd rather that LiveTV not step on
>a recording.  (Though if -all- that button does is to change the
>priority of which card gets used for what,

It does, as it says in the setting's help text:

If enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to have
scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.

> it's not doing what I'd
>expect---what I'd -want- it to do is to say, "If all tuners are
>currently in use for recording and you want LiveTV, warn me so I
>don't ruin a recording"

Already does this with or without the avoid conflicts option.  (Perhaps
goes even beyond this by not letting you watch TV until you cancel one
of the recordings.)

> and likewise "grab LiveTV away from me if
>you need all tuners for recording while I'm watching live"

Used to have a popup to ask you whether to continue LiveTV or do the
recording, but i don't know about now (after the LiveTV rewrite).  I'm
guessing it's still there.  I don't use LiveTV, so I can't really say.

>, but I
>haven't (yet) tested this thoroughly to see which way it works.)
>Would unchecking that option allow LiveTV to grab the appropriate
>input from any card, or is this just an architectural limitation
>of how 0.18.1's LiveTV is supposed to work?

I'm pretty sure in 0.18.1 you have to explicitly change cards (and
perhaps inputs) if a channel isn't available on the current.

>  (And does SVN overcome this limitation?)

Pretty sure it does.  (But, as I said before, I don't use LiveTV, so I
may be wrong.)

Mike