[mythtv-users] Cannot tune channels above 55

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 12 19:55:13 EST 2005

Dan wrote:

>Apologies if this is a driver issue rather than a
>MythTV issue, but I have been unable to tune channels
>above 55.  55 itself is snowy, from 55-60, I get
>reminents of Ch 55, and above 60, I get static.  My
>setup is Fedora Core 3, Hauppauge PVR-500, and ivtv
>0.4 driver.
>
>I followed the instructions at
><http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/> to get everything up and
>running, but found I had to add "options ivtv
>tuner=57,57" to my modprobe.conf to get my tuner
>recognized properly.

Actually, the problem you have is that your tuner is *not* set
properly.  If it were set properly, you wouldn't have tuning problems...

You have the Samsung TCPN 2121P30A tuner.  As of 2.6.14.3, there's no
definition for this tuner in the Linux kernel.  (It may be in
2.6.15-rc5, but I didn't think it was worth wasting kernel.org's
bandwidth to check--it's unlikely to have gone in since 2.6.14.3.)  So,
you'll have to either:
    a) hack one together (using type 57 as a starter and adjusting
    b) get the tuner's data sheet so you can create a real definition
    c) find someone else to do a) or b)
    d) wait until someone does a) or b)

When I had a PVR-250 (actually 4 of them) with an undefined tuner, I did
a), then someone found the data sheet, so I did b) (my "best guesses" in
a) weren't perfect).

If you can get the data sheet, I'll do b) for you (so you can do half of
b) and c) ;).

Mike