[mythtv-users] Unable to initialize video

sarvinc at fastmail.fm sarvinc at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 9 19:15:08 EST 2005

I know I've seen this discussed before, and I've both read and searched
through the threads. I'm having a few problems, probably because this is my
first time with Mythtv.

I've managed to get mythtv running to the point where I can watch DVDs, rip
them to the harddrive, watch Internet content, and listen to music. What I
still haven't been able to get working, and in my opinion the most important
thing, being able to watch and record T.V.

The first problem I'm having, I can "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpeg" and play
video with mplayer. When I try to watch live tv with Mythtv I get "unable to
initialize video" I'm not sure what's wrong or what to do.

This is more of a question rather than a problem. Right now my mythtv box has
two video cards, an ATI Radeon 9700 and a Hauppauge PVR 350. I'm accessing
everything through the Radeon's VGA output but would like to move over to
solely using the 350. How do I make my computer pipe X through the 350?