[mythtv-users] Correcting overscan in MythVideo/mplayer

Ian Armstrong mail01 at iarmst.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 11:53:49 EST 2005

On Friday 09 Dec 2005 15:20, Keith C wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2005, at 8:54 AM, korebantic wrote:
> > mplayer -fs -display :0 -quiet -vf scale=520:-2,expand=640:480:45:40 \
> >  -zoom -vo xv /var/video/mythvideo/Lunar_Bleach_58.avi
> >
> > Does the trick. I'm not sure I really understand resolutions very
> > well. For example, scale=540:-2, along with other resolutions,
> > completely garbled the image. Do you know how to determine "valid"
> > resolutions without having to resort to trial and error?
>
> Yes, for mplayer they have to be divisible by 8, it looks like (I
> thought it was 16, but the fact that 520 works means it must be 8).

I can play that file without problems using a size of 540 with Mplayer
1.0pre7. It also works with 541, 542 & 543.

My own preference is to use xine for playback and map the zoom controls to the
remote. That way I can still overscan, but tweak the size to ensure the subs
are visible.

btw, for fansubs (or any other progressive video) you may find that changing
the yuv mode can improve video quality when scaling. You can do that with the
following.

ivtvctl -d /dev/video16 --set-yuv-mode=mode=1

The default mode is 0 (interlaced), so you'll probably want to reset it after
playback.

--
Ian