[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 9 02:10:05 EST 2005

google helps here: there are tools that inject a packet that disconnects
a client.  On reconnect, they try and get in first using the spoofed mac
address - if they win, they have knocked your "connected" client off the
air and taken its place.  Finding the mac address is also easy: kismet
etc.  Use wpa_psk and/or openvpn with a good config so they cant slip in
- they can knock you off, but cant connect.

However, I have had problems with this combination, I think because of
the overhead openvpn adds to a borderline connection - sometimes its
good, other times pauses as the buffer cant fill fast enough.  Without
openvpn it was OK.

BillK