[mythtv-users] Channel number assignment by mythbackend

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 7 17:23:04 EST 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 00:25:42 -0800, Mitko Haralanov wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:16:14 -0800
>Mitko Haralanov <voidtrance at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> 	I am wondering how mythbackend assigns channel numbers to the
>> channels found while doing the full scan on an HD3000:
>> 	When I use atscscan, it finds 19 channels all with channel
>> numbers corresponding to the channel numbers show by antennaweb.org.
>> However, when mythtv-setup is scanning the channels, they are assigned
>> (or found with) some odd numbers. For example: 2.1 KTVUHD (Fox) is
>> found as channel 21, mythtv-setup find channels in the 3xx and 4xx
>> range and I know I don't get channels that high.

I was under the impression that the numbers etc returned by atscscan (the
[01af] or [000a] at the beginning of the line, were the "names" given by
the broadcaster (that is, the scan parses them out of the stream as it
does for the video and audio id's. And the channel numbers might actually
be that high if this was a cable scan. As far as i can tell the channel
*numbers* in a cable broadcast need bear no relationship to the normal
"channel and frequency increasing together" structure we are used to. I
have been doing cable scans and finding lots of audio-only QAM streams.
And the zap2it guide shows these with numbers into the 700's!

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638