[mythtv-users] Bottom half of video blips

Al Mcintosh amcintosh at atreus-systems.com
Mon Dec 5 12:36:56 EST 2005

I began to see this behaviour with the introduction of ivtv 0.4. I began
to notice out of sync frames
This appears to be an issue with ivtv 0.4 from what I can tell. If
anyone can help pinpoint what version this behviour was introduced that
would help track down and fix the issue. Post your findings on the
ivtv-devel list.

It appears that the behaviour only appears when encoding at a moderatly
low resolution. Perhaps anything less than 720x480.

I see it consistently when encoding at  640x480 using DVD or MPEG-PS and
6000-9000 vbr.

There is a thread on ivtv-devel regarding this issue, the following link
also provides a video example and screen shot of what I was seeing.

http://ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-devel/2005-December/001432.html

M Smith wrote:

> Using Gentoo and MythTV SVN both updated in October '05 with a PVR250
> and standard analog Comast Cable.
>
> OK - I don't know the best way to describe this, but recently (within
> the past month) I am getting a 'random jump / skip / blip / pixelation
> /blur / whatever you want to call it' on the bottom half of the screen
> of my recordings.  It lasts less than a second and is only a visual
> annoyance (you don't really miss anything) and doesn't mess up the
> sound.  It occurs on all stations from what I can tell.  I don't watch
> a lot of live tv, but I haven't seen it so far through that.
>
> I can't figure out what could be causing this.  I hadn't made any
> updates since this started occuring (at least that I can recall,
> unless this had been occuring since the update and my memory is shoddy).
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks...
> Matt

Allan