[mythtv-users] Silent Fan for Socket A (AthlonXP 3000)

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:20:42 EST 2005

Joe Votour wrote:

>--- Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Brad Fuller wrote:

>>CPU

>>flower

>>lowest,

>>cooling.

>>754

>>>I just put in a all copper Zalman on a socket 754.
>>>

>>Much quieter than the
>>

>>>stock.
>>>you probably could get by with the copper and
>>>

>>aluminum mix. I think it
>>

>>>was $20 cheaper at newegg.com.
>>>

>>I have three of the Zalman Cu/Al flowers right now -
>>first one bought
>>over two years ago IIRC. No problems whatsoever. At
>>the speeds they are
>>set at now, they cannot be heard over the
>>Silverstone power supplies
>>I've been using. There may be quieter fansinks out
>>there but I haven't
>>felt the need to improve on these.
>>
>>Slightly off-topic, is anyone using a Seasonic power
>>supply? I was
>>reading some reviews and they sound promising. 80+
>>efficiency across all
>>loads sounds like a really good idea for and media
>>center machine. If
>>they are as quiet as the reviewers claim, I'll
>>probably switch.
>

>I have two Seasonic power supplies actually - I have a
>Super Tornado 400W in my MythTV machine, and an S12 in
>my Via EPIA-based file server.  (I was also using a
>Super Silencer in my desktop until I picked up a P150
>case which includes the NeoHE).
>
>I find that the Seasonic power supplies are great, and
>are very quiet.  I can't say that I've actually
>measured real numbers on them, but the noisiest thing
>in my MythTV machine is the two 60mm exhaust fans on
>the back.  With those fans undervolted, the machine is
>reasonably quiet (by reasonably, I mean, I can't hear
>it while sitting on the couch, 10 or so feet away).
>
>-- Joe

Yeah seasonics are the quietest supply I've ever heard, or not heard
actually. We put an S12 in my girlfriend's athlon64 3000+ machine and
the PS fan spins at a constant 600rpm. It is temperature controlled but
I believe around 600 is the lowest it will go. Under full load it never
goes higher. With the included fan speed reducing connectors (they just
7 volt your fans) connected to the processor and case fan, the computer
is completely silent, and I mean completely silent, from 3 feet away. It
is more quiet than my mythtv machine by far.
Raphael