[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Nova-T PCI and LIRC

Graeme Hilton graeme.hilton at fishter.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 16:58:14 EST 2005

Hi all,

I've been happily using Myth (SVN checkouts every month or so) for about
4 months.  My setup at the moment is as follows:

Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T PCI (two of them)
AMD x86_64 system
Fedora Core 4 - all up to date
MythTV SVN revision 8053

As a relative newbie to Linux I think I've been getting on quite well,
but the one thing that is completely defeating me is connecting the
Hauppauge remote control to Myth.  From the outset there are five keys
on the remote that translated to events on the system.  I have always
been able to use the four arrow keys and the OK button.  However, none
of the other buttons produce any effect on the system except when I do a
'cat /dev/input/event0'.  Then I get something resembling line noise
whenever I press a key on the remote.

I've downloaded and compiled lirc version 0.7.3pre1.
I configured it to use the appropriate driver for the Hauppauge TV card
(i2C required) and turned on debugging.  On 'make install' it created
the appropriate device node in /dev :
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Dec  4 17:50 /dev/lircd

I used a lirc.conf file with appropriate contents for the Nova-T card
(second half of this file from the lirc.org website:
<http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge.irman>)

Then I start lircd in a terminal 'lircd -n -D2'
lircd 0.7.3pre1: started server socket
lircd 0.7.3pre1: parsing remote
lircd 0.7.3pre1: creating first remote
lircd 0.7.3pre1: parsing (null) remote
lircd 0.7.3pre1:     begin codes
lircd 0.7.3pre1:     end codes
lircd 0.7.3pre1: end remote
lircd 0.7.3pre1: config file read
lircd 0.7.3pre1: lircd(H=) ready
<slight pause>
lircd 0.7.3pre1: registering local client
lircd 0.7.3pre1: accepted new client on H=
lircd 0.7.3pre1: Segmentation fault

Just after the slight pause, I get IrKick flash up on my KDE desktop
telling me that the "infrared system has severed its connection".

Has anyone had this happen to them?  Have you managed to solve the
problem and get your Hauppauge remote fully working?

If not, does anyone have any ideas on what I can do next to get the
remote up and running?

Many Thanks,

--
Graeme Hilton