[mythtv-users] remote-controlled mythfrontend?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sat Dec 3 01:45:13 EST 2005

    Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:37:35 -0500
    From: Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com>

    I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I use Xvnc to
    control a FE remotely (you'll probably have to install but it's no
    problem). From your remote machine, ssh into the Myth machine you want
    to control, launch (mythuser)$Xvnc display:0 (I belileve. Anyway it's
    in the README), and launch vncviewer on your local machine. There a
    few things that need configuring, but it's all in the docs.

    This creates a clone of the current Myth X display on your remote
    machine. Start your film from the regular Myth menus, close the vnc
    session, and go watch. I have no idea if this works on MS, or if

(On MS?  You mean in Windows?  Not an issue; all Linux boxes.)

    that's even an issue for you. Maybe not as elegant as a FF plugin but
    easy and effective.

Hmm.  That's interesting; I'll have to go take a look at it.  If it's
an exact clone (e.g., I see the normal frontend menu, as opposed to
what mythweb can do for me), it's not quite as useful, since the idea
was to use the high density of information mythweb can give me, but
it's still worth investigating...  Thanks!