[mythtv-users] dvb hdtv capture resolution limited to 720x480 in mythtv? DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite

mrwester mrwester at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:17:39 EST 2005

On 12/1/05, Jesper Sörensen <jesper at datapartner.se> wrote:

> mrwester wrote:
> > However, when I go into recording profiles, the max I can set is
> > 720x480, thereby limiting me to digital SD on the card.
>
> Those settings are not used for DVB recordings. Myth will record the raw
> MPEG-2 stream in whatever format it is.
>
> > The digital DVB tuner however has black bars on the
> > sides.  Is this because only some programs are broadcast in widescreen
> > and the 4:3 aspect ratio shows are recorded this way and I've not
> > recorded a 16:9 show yet?
>
> Try hitting "w" a couple of times in live tv (or a recording) and see
> what happens? Or play a recording with xine or mplayer (possibly on
> another computer) if you suspect Myth isn't doing the right thing.

Thanks for the replies.  After letting the card record for a day, it's
apparent that I'm capturing whatever is sent-the capture resolution settings
are irrelevant for the card.   Close to 7GB/hr for what must be HDTV (based
on file size and on-screen appearance) and my normal 2.2GB/hr for
programs/channels that are SDTV.  I found the aspect override setting in
playback setup setting to 16:9 has taken care of my aspect ratio issue...

Again, thanks for the insight.  Looks like the FusionHDTV 5 Lite is easy to
setup and works great in my hands...

Mike