[mythtv-users] Gentoo n00b needing advice!

Nedim Cholich nedim.cholich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 10:48:59 EST 2005

More of a Gentoo question then Mythtv.

Looking at your USE flags you have both -gtk and gtk. Remove gtk, you don't
need it. I tend to agree with Steve about KDE, but then again I love KDE and
am running it on a Celeron 700Mhz laptop. The trick is not to emerge entire
kde, but just kdebase-meta, and be very careful later on about what you are
emerging.

Also for mythtv you don't need innodb, sdk, xmms, openal, server, clamav,
dedicated, msn, svga (probably some others too). It's easy to add additional
USE flags later, but you gotta get Mythtv running first. Go to
http://gentoo-portage.com/USE for reference on USE flags. Read up on using
/etc/portage/package.use instead of global USE flags in make.conf.

When emerging something do:
emerge -av <package name>
This will tell you exactly what USE flags package wants and give you chance
to bail out. Then you can fine tune the flags for that particular package.

Post a particular problem and maybe you'll get more concrete help.

And finally, don't give up. Gentoo is harder to setup then other distros but
once you get a hang of it, you'll never look back.

Hope this helps.