[mythtv-users] Front end choice: Mac Mini versus VIA EPIA. Mac OS X remote control?

Stephen Dolan Stephen.Dolan at s3group.com
Wed Aug 31 09:44:30 UTC 2005

> I'm at an awkward stage with Myth.
>
> My back end is pretty much complete and works a treat.  I bought the
> slowest second-hand P4 machine that the local second-hand computer
> shop (<http://www.computer-resale.co.uk/> - it's a great place) could
> sell me, installed Gentoo, two Hauppauge Nova-T cards and Myth and
> everything worked pretty easily.  Kudos to the developers, the Gentoo
> ebuild maintainers and the many HOWTO authors.  It records stuff
> reliably and dishes out the video to either a front end running on
> the same machine (in the study) or to my PowerBook plugged in via
> 100-baseT.  It doesn't work too well wirelessly, but that's no
> surprise.
>
> So, now the difficult bit.  The back end will be hidden away (in the
> attic, probably).  It is time to buy a front end system.  I want
> something quiet, above all, so was considering either a Mac mini or a
> VIA EPIA system.  It would be controlled only via a remote control -
> I've no plans to provide it with a pointing device or to use it for
> general computing.

For what its worth I have an EPIA M10000 running as both a backend and a
frontend. With the built in mpg2 decoding hardware, I can play back my
recordings using about 12% of the cpu, so using a lower speed  fanless
EPIA should pose no problems as a frontend

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications at s3group.com.
Thank You.