[mythtv-users] OT: HD-3000 QAM working for anyone?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 04:41:45 UTC 2005

On 8/30/05, Erik Pettersen <pettersen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, It was kind of a dry run with spare hardware not totally
> suitable to the task.  Plus my interest diminished in pursuing QAM
> when it only netted me 1 or 2 channels in the clear that I couldn't
> get OTA ... (stupid adelphia *shakes fist* no LOST no MNF in HD for me
> via cable!)

Yeah.  I get a lot more channels over the air.  Neither NBC-HD nor
CBS-HD are available via my cable company at all.  Also, it is a known
fact that most cable companies (mine included) reduce the bit-rate so
they can cram more channels in.

Only reason I am doing this, is I can actually get TNT-HD in the
clear.  There is also a small hope that they may start sending ESPN-HD
in the clear.

> I'm no expert but the fact that you don't have a consistent FE lock is
> most definitely an important part of the symptom/issue.   It is
> possible that the HD-3000 is more sensitive to noise/lower strength
> signal than the QAM/ATSC tuner in your TV.  In general with
> analog/NTSC cards I've found that to be true *shrug*.

That is what I am afraid of.

> You could try running the cable directly from the wall to your HD-3000
> (i.e. no splits/etc) temporarily as a test.  If that improves your
> situation you may be a candidate for some sort of high quality RF
> amplifier or better grade coax or something... Although it sounds like
> you've sorta tried this.

Yes.  Tried a high-quality (low noise) 15db amp at the point the cable
comes into my house.  Made no difference.

I actually have to use a signal attenuator to get a good picture from
my PVR-500, so I tried using that on the HD-3000.  Made no difference.

>   I have no idea if Dvico or other cards are
> more or less "sensitive" re: QAM/etc...

Hopefully someone on this list has good QAM reception with something....

> My QAM tuner on my LG 30" widescreent CRT pulled in the exact same
> channels as the HD-3000.

I really wish someone would come out with a commercial box that has a
"cable card" slot, and firewire output.  Not going to happen, but I
can dream.

> E.

Thanks again,

John