[mythtv-users] International configuration

James Howison james at freelancepropaganda.com
Wed Aug 31 01:53:05 UTC 2005

Here's what I want to do, at least in the medium term.  I'd
appreciate any guidance as to possibility/resources/experiences.

Say I have a box here in the states and a box in australia.  I'd like
to run encoders on both and frontends in both places.  I'd like both
frontends to have the ability to schedule recordings on either end.
(ie I'd like to schedule a recording on the australian backend from
the states).  I think that should be possible, perhaps by adding
another source into each backend.

However I want these recordings to be pretty good quality, so I don't
expect to watch them in the states streaming off the backend in
australia (just not enough bandwidth).  Rather I'd like the system to
know which end had scheduled the recording and to move that recording
to the end that wanted it.

Something like this (== is Lan, -- is internet link):

US Frontend <==> US Backend <---//---> Aus Backend <===> Aus Frontend
                       |                    |
                    US Cable          Aus Digital TV

US Frontend speaks to US Backend, accessing a source which lists Aus
programming, and schedules a recording.  US Backend then instructs
Aus Backend to do the taping and once it is finished to transfer the
recording automatically into the US Backend's Media Library (and
possibly store it in the Aus Backend with low priority).  US Frontend
then watches it in streaming glory in the States.  And, of course,
vice versa.

It would be possible for the US frontend to talk directly to the Aus
backend but then one would have to have a way of telling the Aus
backend where to put the recording ...

Live TV is also desirable but secondary, probably transcoded to
something suitably low bandwidth for previewing and peeking.

Is anyone doing something similar?  Is this currently possible with
Myth?  I guess all it really needs is a "post-record/transcode" hook
to tell the encoding end to transfer the file and a way to let the
requesting end know that the program is in the library.

Then I can watch me cricket, mate. And who could blame me for that?

--J