[mythtv-users] S-Video capture card choices?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 00:35:27 UTC 2005

> You might be right. Or maybe there were tuners in there that I just didn't
> notice. Like, here's a $60 card:
>
> http://www.provantage.com/buy-7aver026-ultratv-1500-mce-xp-mpeg2-encoder-avermedia-video-capture-tuner-multr1500-shopping.htm

Can't comment on this card, but I spent five minutes at the MF's site
and couldn't find the card, let alone any specifics about how it works
or whether or not it's supported in Linux. I wouldn't buy it solely
for that reason.

> http://store.yahoo.com/compusb/usb20mphavic.html

As I gather, you're asking for trouble with an external USB module.
Plus, this one costs every bit as much as a PVR 150, and doesn't
include an RF barrel or a remote.

> I would, but I'm allergic to rebates. Or they're allergic to me. Whatever,
> I never get the money back, so I tend not to buy things with rebates
> unless they're in-store/instant.

I agree. Rebates are crap, and I make a point of letting the shop know
this whenever I buy something.

But the real thing to keep in mind with MythTV is the realtive PITA
factor in getting everything working. PVR cards are very well
supported, and you'll be up and running quickly by simply following
directions. Other cards supported to varying degrees, or not at all.
It's not worth trying to save $10 on a capture card -- just get one
that you know will work. Save money other places if you have to.