[mythtv-users] Wakeup Timer

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 21:57:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 23:48 +0200, Michael Vistein wrote:
> I sucessfully set up my MythTV box with nvram-wakeup. There's only one
> thing I don't understand. I have configured, that recoding should start
> 300s earlier and that the system needs 120s to boot up. But on shutdown,
> the timer is set 12 minutes before the start of the recording (300s for
> start earlier, 120s for booting and another 300s for what?) Is there
> another setting that affects this time? The system is not recording
> during these 300s, I checked that already. It's not a problem, but I
> want to understand, and I think this behavior has not been there from
> the beginning on.

Been playing with that just today....

nvram-wakeup adds in its own fudge factor (defined in the code) - it
defaults to being 5 minutes (or 300 seconds).

On a similar subject, I can't get grub to boot the system up again on
wakeup - instead it runs the power down grub entry which I need to
reboot to to make the thing powerdown with NVRAM wakeup.  This is on a
FC3 x86_64 system (grub updated to FC4 current to see if there were any
fixes in that).  Basically the power down entry looks like this

   title Power Down
	savedefault --default=2
	halt

but on power up it sticks on the 0 entry (the power down).

The initial stanza has
	default saved

all the other kernels have a savedefault, and the shutdown script uses a
"savedefault --default=0 --once" which appears to work find to make it
select the power down kernel.  Maybe it doesn't get a chance to write
before it dies....

	Nigel.