[mythtv-users] frustrating comments about sample rates (what not to do)

Larry Symms lsymms at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 21:08:46 UTC 2005

In mpegrecorder.cpp it states "// only 48kHz works properly." regarding
audio sample rates which I have tested and proven true.  What happens is
a discrepancy in displayed time and actual position in the recording.
This leads to skipping back when trying to skip forward because myth is
miscalculating the current position based on time elapsed.  The problem
is that the comments in Recording Profiles in TV Settings in Myth
frontend say: "Sets the audio sampling rate for your DSP.  Ensure that
you choose a sampling rate appropriate for your device.  btaudio may
only allow 32000."  This implys that not only is it ok to change the
sampling rate from the default but that it is recomended.  This is not
the case.  Do not be deceived, 48000 is the only acceptable setting for
mpeg encoders unless you never watch recordings while they're
recording.  When playing recordings while they are recording the sample
rate is gathered from the codec settings in the db rather than the mpeg
header.  If any of this is incorrect by all means correct me but I'm 99%
sure this is the case based on the code I've gone through and the tests
I've conducted.