[mythtv-users] Re: [ivtv-devel] PVR-150 or PVR-500 Fading Static problem/Reddish Static problem

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Mon Aug 29 14:05:13 UTC 2005

tufkal wrote:

> Morten Rønseth wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> tufkal wrote:

>>> As a matter of fact Phil, i was doing just that while waiting for a
>>> response.  Here is the update.
>>>
>>> Removed ivtv related modules from Mandriva kernel.
>>> Downloaded ivtv.
>>> Compiled ivtv.
>>> Extracted the firmware from CD.
>>> *Grabbed recommended firmware revision online.
>>> *Extracted encoder firmware that was suggested
>>> Symlinked the proper firmware file.
>>> Depmod -a
>>>
>>> -modprobe.conf-
>>> Blank, took it all out
>>>
>>> I think i have that all setup properly.  So after a modprobe
>>> tveeprom, i issue the crucial modprobe ivtv and here is the output.
>>>
>> Try doing a cold boot - give a good 30 secs or so.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>

>> -Morten
>>
> Just to clarify, this fixed it, and I dont know why LOL I thought you
> we re crazy until I tried it.
> Thanks!

This is a very common issue.  I actually experienced it myself too.
This needs to be addressed in a definitive manner so people can just
refer future questions to
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_forum=forum_1&search_string=FadingStaticProblem
(that should work within a few hours of this posting.)  I will not
document the detailed steps here, because they can be found in other
places, and the exact methods may change over time.  However, the issues
needing to be addressed will probably be a constant since the hardware
and ivtv 0.2.x (which will not work for these cards) isn't changing.

If you are experiencing the problem where your PVR-150 or PVR-500
delivers static (often a reddish color) that fades out to black, and
then returns in an infinite cycle, you have failed to properly complete
one of these very important actions:
1. Get a recent, if not the latest IVTV driver source. VERSION 0.2.x
WILL NOT WORK FOR A PVR-150 OR PVR-500!!
2. Remove all previous installations on IVTV from your kernel modules
directory.  ( keep in mind that you can find detail instruction on each
of these steps by searching
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/ )
3. Compile & install the IVTV driver.
4. Compile the IVTV utilities
5. Use the IVTV utilities to extract the firmware from the Hauppauge CD,
or better yet from the downloadable CD image on http://www.hauppauge.com
( currently http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mce.html )
6. Install or symlink the firmware.  ( here are my notes on this topic
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=32863&sid=fd6de9c38eaac2c52a802345ba8fc9d7#32863
)
7. Reboot your machine. ( sudo shutdown -r now )
8. Shut down your machine for at least 30 seconds. ( sudo shutdown -h
now )  You may have to do this a few times, but not more than maybe 3?
(Yes, we all realize this sounds crazy, but it is a hardware need for
the Hauppauge card.  You can be a stubborned *nix head about it and
waste all night banging your head against a rock like I did, if you
wish, but it will not change the fact that this still needs to be done)

Good Luck.

--

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.