[mythtv-users] [OT] Remote Control question - not all buttons work

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Aug 28 20:07:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 03:51:16PM +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:
> Is it therefore the case that the remote manufacturer has enabled
> different buttons for different devices? So for example, some of the
> buttons work when it's in TV mode and a different set work when it's
> in DVD mode?

That's how the remote for my Hitachi TV works.  It has buttons for DVD,
VCR, etc., and each button can be programmed to work with a specific
brand/model of device.  Depending on the mode, however, some buttons are
always reserved for the TV even if the alternate device could have a
similar feature.  Since I'm using an XBOX as the front end, I told the
remote that I have an RCA DVD and it mostly works except that the
numbers are still assigned to the TV (I guess they don't do anything on
an RCA DVD) so I can't use the remote to change channels.  Since I
already had an XBOX-USB converter (to load the hack for installing
Linux) I just ran a cable to couch-potato corner and use a USB keyboard
instead of the remote.