[mythtv-users] capture card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 28 16:29:46 UTC 2005

Jarod Watkins wrote:

> I was wondering what is the cheapest mythtv compatible capture card
> with mpeg2 encoding? I have a satellite receiver, so a s-video
> connector is required. Thanks ahead.

I would recommend using a Hauppauge (even if you can get a Yuan or
something else cheaper).  Currently the cheapest of the Hauppauge line
is the PVR-150 (it's also the best--the PVR-500 is basically just two
PVR-150's, so it's not really "better," just two of the best).

You can find the PVR-150 for about $70 after rebates at local retailers
(CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.).  If you don't want to wait for
a special, it will cost about $90.

Mike